Thursday, June 4, 2009

Unemployed no more!

That's right, I can take myself out of the long unemployment line. Well, it doesn't really work that way anymore, it is all done online, but you catch my drift. I finished my classes on Monday, the 2nd round of CNA (certified nursing assistant) courses through PCC. This round was for Acute care, which is required to work in hospitals in Oregon. The first round would have enabled me to work in long term care aka nursing homes.... no thank you. So, getting back to my point, as I was getting closer to finishing my class, I got all antsy in my pantsy and started applying for jobs. Most hospitals probably rolled their eyes, as I have no experience whatsoever in the medical field. Well, then Legacy Health Systems called. I had applied for a part time position at Good Samaritan (on NW 23rd, no less!), on their surgical unit. The low down is, nobody really wants part time right now, but I do, I do! So, I went in for an interview, and it was AWESOME. I haven't interviewed for a job in, oh, 10 years. Seriously, the mortgage industry is so incestuous, you get a job because of who you know, not your interviewing skills! Needless to say, I was freaking out. Luckily, my friend Steph is a few steps ahead of me and had just gotten hired at OHSU and gave me a few pointers. Not to gloat, but I freaking NAILED it. So, I got the job, all is well, and I am oh so thankful that I don't have to search high and low for a job now!!! Yay!! I have orientation on the 15th.. stay tuned. Many misadventures to follow. Now for varying, part time childcare.........

8 comments:

Unknown said...

congrats - I will add you to the list of people to ask when something doesn't feel right - like this broken bone in my hand or a sprained calf muscle...you get the idea.

but again CONGRATS from DC!!!

The Wilbur's said...

So proud of you!! Makes me want to go pursue my desire of the medical field =) Keep us posted and best of luck!

The Boyds said...

Gabe! You found us!! We miss you.

Blair Oman said...

Congrats!! :)

Beth Twist said...

Congratulations to you!

Lizzy said...

YAY! Congratulations!

However, this job is probably going to cut into our "sit on our butts with our babies all summer" time but oh well ;)

The Boyds said...

Lizzy, it's only 2 days/week... I have plenty of time for you!

Jo said...

Yea!!! Congratulations! Me, I'm still on the dole and still a-lookin'! Someday something will crop up. Hope to see you guys on Sunday!