Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fabulous Summer Quinoa Salad!

This is one of the only tried and true Gluten free recipes that I've found. I've made it over and over, and over again. I didn't find it in a fancy cookbook, or out of that retard Elizabeth Hassleback's book... I found it on some obscure website that I can't even locate now. Anyhow~ try it, trust me, you'll love it. Even those who don't want to try quinoa love it. Report back when you love it.
Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked red quinoa (color is irrelevant!)
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
2 avocados, diced
1 cup artichoke hearts (I leave these out because I hate them)
1/4 fresh, chopped basil (the more, the better!)
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts (jury is still out on these~they are very expensive, and I'm not sure they are worth it!)
2 tbsp capers (I've never used them, but if you like them, use 'em!)
1 red onion (calls to be thinly sliced. I put it in the food processor and emulsify it because I hate the texture of onions~do what you please!)
Olive oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Fresh Lemon Juice
2-3 garlic cloves (or more!)
Directions:
Bring 2 cups water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until water is absorbed, approximately 10 minutes. Strain and rinse well under cold water. Set aside, perhaps in the refrigerator.
In small skillet, use 1 tbsp olive oil to saute the red onion until transparent. Also set this aside.
Vinaigrette Dressing:
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (or lime juice, but I've never used it and can't vouch!)
2-3 minced garlic cloves
1/3 cup olive oil (I've rarely used the whole 1/3 cup, usually about 1/4 works, but it's up to you!)
salt & pepper to taste
whisk together
Now, mix all ingredients together, and I find that it tastes best when served cold.
We eat this with ground chicken burgers a lot!
Enjoy!!

2 comments:

K Schimmy said...

I love quinoa! I have always been fascinated by the little curley-q tails it has.

I haven't thought of using it in a long time... call it the effects of living at the beach. I need to track some down and make your salad!

The Boyds said...

Not sure if Warrenton costco carries it, but the one up here does!